Israel says it is close to developing 'Star Wars' laser missile shield named Iron Beam that will cover entire region
An Israeli arms company has revealed details of a laser defense system with 'Star Wars' style technology which can shoot missiles from the sky with a pulse of energy.
State-owned Rafael Advanced Defense Systems said the futuristic military hardware called Iron Beam was almost ready for deployment.
It works by firing a focused laser at targets which are heated so rapidly they disintegrate in an instant.
- Laser shield can intercept drones, rockets, missiles and mortars
- High Energy Laser rapidly heats an object until it explodes, makers claim
- Rafael Advanced Defense Systems said its lasers destroyed 90% of targets
- System is designed to intercept objects current Iron Dome system cannot
- Current defense system has destroyed hundreds of Hamas rockets
The arms maker publicised specifications of its High Energy Laser (HEL) at this week's Singapore Airshow, which is Asia's largest aerospace and defense exhibition.
'It's exactly like what you see in Star Wars,' said company spokesman Amit Zimmer. 'You see the lasers go up so quickly like a flash and the target is finished.'
Read much more in MailOnline